Dual Citizenship or Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition

Note: The following requirements are for Filipinos naturalized as citizens of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, or Sweden only; Norway still does not recognize dual citizenship for Filipinos naturalized as Norwegians.

Republic Act No. 9225 or the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003 grants natural-born Filipinos who have lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country the opportunity to retain or re-acquire their Filipino citizenship. Upon reacquiring their Philippine citizenship, they shall enjoy full civil, economic and political rights as Filipinos.

This law shall equally apply to unmarried children below eighteen (18) years of age, whether legitimate, illegitimate, or adopted if they are included in the parent’s petition for reacquisition of Philippine citizenship.

Rights and Privileges

Once you reacquire your Philippine citizenship, you will again enjoy full civil, economic and political rights under existing Philippine laws.

Among these rights are:

  • The right to travel with a Philippine passport;
  • The right to own real property in the Philippines;
  • The right to engage in business and commerce as a Filipino; and
  • The right to practice one’s profession, provided that a license or permit to engage in such practice is obtained from the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC), or the Supreme Court in the case of lawyers.

You may also vote in Philippine national elections (for President, Vice President, Senators and sectoral representatives) by overseas/absentee ballot in accordance with the provisions of the Overseas Absentee Voting Act of 2003. 

You will enjoy all other rights and privileges enjoyed by Filipino citizens.

Implication on income taxes

Under the Comprehensive Tax Reform Program of 1997, incomes earned abroad by Filipinos from 1998 onwards are no longer taxable. Hence, all Filipinos abroad, including those who have reacquired their Philippine citizenship, have been exempted by the Philippine Government from paying Philippine income tax on incomes earned abroad.

Incomes earned in the Philippines, however, will be subject to Philippine income tax.

Residency requirement

Residency in the Philippines is NOT a requirement for those who reacquire Philippine citizenship.

Visa requirement for foreign spouse and/or children when traveling to the Philippines

As long as the foreign spouse and children travel with the Balikbayan, they will be entitled to a visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one (1) year.


General Instructions for Application of Dual Citizenship

To avoid summary dismissal/delay in the processing of your application/petition, please be advised of the following:

  1. The Petition Form is written in English.
    • Type or enter legibly all the information required into the appropriate spaces on the form.
    • If the information required is not applicable, please write “N/A”.
    • Do not leave any item blank.
    • The Embassy will not act on application forms that are incomplete and incorrectly accomplished.
    • Your answers must be in English and all entries must be in CAPITAL LETTERS.
  2. Applicants are requested to email a scanned copy of the complete documents (application form together with the requirements) via email to helpdesk@philembassy.no for evaluation.
  3. The Embassy will contact you to schedule your oath-taking once your documents are found to be complete. Appearance in person at the Philippine Embassy in Oslo, Norway for oath-taking is required. Oath-taking for dual citizenship is only during Thursdays at 2:00 p.m.
  4. Bring the original and 5 photocopies of the documents on the day of appointment. Otherwise, your application or petition shall not be accepted.
  5. All original documents submitted as part of the petition will not be returned to the petitioner and will be part of the Philippine Bureau of Immigration’s record.
  6. You may apply for Philippine passport after your oath-taking. Please fill out the Application Form.

Checklist of Documentary Requirements (CDR)

Principal Applicant

  1. Duly accomplished Petition Form (2 originals)
  2. Colored, passport-size photographs with white background taken within the last three months from the date of application (4 pieces)
  3. Birth Certificate (BC) in Security Paper issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
  4. Latest Philippine passport (if unavailable, an affidavit explaining the circumstances of the unavailability of the passport)
  5. Current foreign passport
  6. Certificate of Foreign Citizenship in English authenticated by the Foreign Ministry of the issuing country
    If English version cannot be obtained, have the certificate translated in English and notarized, then authenticated by the Foreign Ministry of the issuing country:
    • Certificate of Danish citizenship from the Danish Justice Ministry (Justitsministeriet)
    • Certificate of Finnish citizenship from the Finnish Immigration Service (Maahanmuuttovirasto)
    • Certificate of Icelandic citizenship issued by the Ministry of the Interior
    • Certificate of Swedish citizenship issued by Swedish Migrations Board (Migrationsverket)
  7. For women who are married, widowed, divorced, or whose marriage has been annulled (if applicable), please present and submit copy of the appropriate document:
    • If married:
      • Marriage Certificate (MC) or Report of Marriage in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
      • If marriage abroad has not been registered, please see Report of Marriage
    • If widowed:
      • Death Certificate of the deceased spouse, in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), or
      • Death Certificate in English authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country of death
    • If marriage is annulled:
      • Annotated PSA Marriage Certificate or Report of Marriage, and
      • Certified True Copy (CTC) of Court Order effecting the annulment
    • If divorced:
      • Certified True Copy (CTC) of the Divorce Decree in English duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate where the divorce was obtained or by the concerned foreign diplomatic or consular mission in the Philippines.
      • Certified True Copy (CTC) of Philippine Court recognition of foreign divorce decree must also be present and
      • PSA Marriage Contract or Report of Marriage with the annotation of the Divorce Decree.
      • For Philippine Court recognition of foreign divorce decree, please see link : https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/annotation-effects-divorce-declared-foreign-country
  8. In case the name of the applicant in his/her birth certificate is different from that in his/her foreign passport and other documents, the applicant shall execute an affidavit explaining such difference and present as supporting documents, two (2) public or private documents showing the correct name of the applicant. 
  9. The Consular Officer reserves the right to request additional documents from the applicant.

Dependent Child (below 18 years old):

  1. Birth Certificate (BC) or Report of Birth in Security Paper issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
    If birth abroad has not been registered, please see Report of Birth.
  2. Colored, passport-size photographs with white background taken within the last three months from the date of application (4 pieces)
  3. Current foreign passport


Only in Norwegian kroner (NOK) to be paid on the appointment date. No refunds.

Principal - NOK 450
Dependent - NOK 225
Affidavit/ROB/ROM - NOK 225
Passport - NOK 540 (if applying for a Philippine passport)
Postage - NOK 270